Church history

An historic building 

The church building is early 14th century in the decorated Gothic style, constructed from local ironstone. Some evidence exists of an earlier Norman construction. On the north side of the building there is a Lady Chapel. This was used as a Chantry Chapel from 1268 to 1538 when chantries were abolished under Henry VIII. From the mid 19th century this part of the church was occupied by a large organ which was destroyed by fire in 1963. A new organ was placed at the rear of the church and the chapel was rededicated in 1966. 

Tomb of Sir Thomas Tresham 

One of the most notable features in the church is the tomb of Sir Thomas Tresham which is a recumbent effigy in alabaster wearing the traditional dress of a Knight Hospitaller. Sir Thomas was appointed Lord Prior of the restored Order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem in 1557 by Queen Mary.  By the steps to the north door lies another tomb of Purbeck marble, thought to be of William de Goldingham, a 13th century knight who owned estates in the Rushton area. 

Seating for approximately 100 people is provided by pews which were installed in the early 19th century. There are several stained glass windows dating from the early 19th century. The belfry contains six bells, the tenor bell weighing 9 cwt. 

Powered by Church Edit